Monday, April 28, 2014

The Two-Way Street of Communication



A petite although agile senior citizen, I boarded the #10 bus a few evenings ago laden with groceries. There were no empty seats, but I noticed a toddler occupying her own seat while her mother sat close by. I hoped the mother would follow the protocol, pick up the child, and offer the seat to me. Instead, she stared straight ahead as if I were invisible. My neck muscles tensed and blood rushed to my head while she remained oblivious! My next thought: I don’t need the seat anyway; I’m strong enough to stand. Disappointingly, that conviction failed to defuse my anger.
  Unable to forget the incident the next day, I realized it must have deeper meaning.  As an old saying goes, “If it’s hysterical, it’s historical.”  The mother’s unawareness had kicked into my personal struggle to become more aware of others.
 Many years ago my brother said, “I don’t know if you realize it, but you seem to sense a person’s vulnerability like an Achilles heel.” He was referring to a comment I’d made that wounded my sister -in–law.
 In other words, his critical remark had nurtured my awareness. To apply this lesson to the woman on the bus: My speaking up had the potential to help her become more aware. Realizing the power I wielded (to ask for the seat, politely of course) melted away my anger like snow (on the sidewalk) on a sunny day.

Conclusion: The two-way street of communication has the power to nurture awareness of self and others.

Dear Reader, I look forward to your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly