Monday, March 3, 2014

Labels: Pros and Cons


We yearn to simplify our complex world. The act of labeling is an attempt along these lines. Labels stream-line our existence like drive-through delis and banks.
 
We assume that a label portends stability- its function is to define- and for the most part, definitions of words are constant. But quite often, a label isn’t stable at all, but subject to change, and instead of directing us, leads us astray, like a wayward horse.

Some old labels, like Stalinist” resurfaced when the renowned folk singer Pete Seeger died in January at age 94. Dylan Matthews  of The Washington Post, tweeted,  “I love and will miss Pete Seeger but let’s not gloss over that fact that he was an actual Stalinist.”

Another voice, reflecting the change with time, softened the label’s harshness.  Bhaskar Sunkara of Portside Moderator wrote,  “Time after time American Communists such as Seeger were on the right side of history,”

Seeger endured several episodes of  labeling (name-calling) throughout the years, and fortunate for us all, he had the courage to persist in his goal to make the world a better place for everyone.

But we’ve also read in the press about young people, teenagers and college students, who, unable to stand up for themselves,  have committed suicide in the face of a “negative” label. In other words, labels possess the power to kill.

In less extreme cases, labels lead to expectations. Children in the school system are vulnerable to such tags: gifted vs. average vs. mentally-challenged. Most children accept these designations and perform accordingly.

When I was a  junior high school  student, I was placed in the “gifted” class.  Plagued with self doubt, I asked to be transferred to the classroom of “average” students.  I was surprised when,  instead of my usual A’s, I received B’s. I knew the quality of my work hadn’t changed, and I questioned the teacher. She explained that students in the “average” class are given B’s. Of course I quickly realized the fallacy of labels in this situation and asked to be returned to the “gifted” class where I once again received A’s.

In terms of psychiatric labels, the use of the diagnosis borderline personality disorder,  has undergone drastic changes.  In the 1970’s, the patient wasn’t informed about the diagnosis which implied severe difficulties inherent in the treatment with a guarded prognosis.  Matters have changed today, thanks in good part to Marsha Linehan’s writings on treating this disorder that have modified the past outlook of doom and gloom.

On occasion, a person consulting with me for the first time, will deliver the message, “I’ve been diagnosed as ‘borderline,’ with the equanimity of a weather report. In my experience, the implication of this diagnosis and its prognosis, varies from person to person, almost to the point of rendering the diagnostic “label” useless.

Conclusion: We must deal with labels everyday but keep an open mind, to mull over the mutability of labels, and think outside the box.

Dear Reader, I look forward to your opinions. Jsimon145@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly