Monday, April 1, 2013

The Art of Authenticity



At a party I met a woman who said, “This is not really who I am. This is my party self.”

I was immediately intrigued. I realized by admitting she wasn’t being authentic, paradoxically, she was acting in an authentic way.  Of course I wanted to know more about who she really is; she provided snippets and then disappeared forever, leaving me to ponder her secrets and to question the vast territory of “authenticity.”

I learned that the term authenticity extends beyond psychology to apply to existential philosophy and aesthetics. In psychology of course we understand it to mean the degree to which one is true to one’s own personality, spirit, or character despite external pressures.

An authentic self is distinct from the real or true self which refers to how connected one is to his inherent feelings and goals. (For more on the real self, please refer to my blog of November 12, 2012). By contrast, the authentic self depends on other people to determine and declare, “He is an authentic person.” Or, “Yes, this work of art is authentic.”

Authenticity is a desirable quality. An effective leader convinces others he is authentic and genuinely concerned about their needs. We don’t want to be fooled by a “phony,” a person who is not who he says he is.

We hate to be duped, fooled by a good imposter. A relatively recent example is Bernard Madoff, who appeared to be  a supremely successful financier while  masterminding a huge Ponzi scheme and defrauding thousands.

For me, “The Emperor’s New Clothes," the tale by Hans Christian Anderson, is an example of our tendency to follow the perception of the crowd.  To deviate and trust ourselves in spite of common opinion requires courage, and a grounding in the real self.

Conclusion:  Determining authenticity is an art.  We do best when we connect to the real essence- our feelings, perceptions, and knowledge of the discipline.

Dear Reader, I invite your comments: jsimon145@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly