Monday, October 22, 2012

Talking to Ourselves (to Voxalate or Not?)

Many jokes abound about talking to ourselves.  The tendency has been associated with mental aberrations and indulging in the habit may cause fear that we’re loosing touch with reality.

“As long as you don’t get an answer,” is a favorite retort. But when we don’t want to bother other people with our jabber, why not talk to ourselves? In fact, there may be some benefit to the practice: researchers have actually found that hearing our thoughts can help us locate a missing object.
  
The behavior could also indicate a kind of awareness, rather than an obliviousness of our own actions. Dividing ourselves into an experiencer and an observer may give us a more accurate picture of ourselves, thereby achieving a goal of psychotherapy: to teach a patient to become his own therapist by observing his thoughts and actions.

I propose to invent a new verb - voxalate- to mean the positive, reassuring and helpful phenomenon of talking to oneself out loud.
  
Conclusion:  Talking to oneself can boost the memory and help us become more self-aware. 

Dear Reader, Please add your opinions and experiences. Jsimon145@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. how can i say this. you are a blessing,, i have been trying to tell this to my family and one friend in particular that what you write below is ok !! thank you for doing this guess they would be more prone to believe a "professional" ! i worked on this film the ides of march with george clooney and the producer lives on 71st and broadway and he said one day he heard me talking to myself and got very scared.. I was mumbling about my mother in laws rapid decline from MS and was upset and then dementia followed fast. he said he wanted to talk to me but I "looked upapprochable" as if to imply I was crazy I hope you don't mind my ending this email. i just sent him your blog bravo and thanks. I am headed to LA co producing my first film thanks for this that you wrote it helped me SO MUCH. how might I help you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Reader, I appreciate your heartfelt comments and am gratified that the blog helped you. You help me by reading my blog and commenting whenever you want.

    Gratefully,
    Doc Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voxalate; the art of speaking to oneself

    gently

    a background sound, like waves lapping a beach

    present and persistent

    'I am enough

    I am enough

    I am enough'

    only that until the world

    again seduces

    reminding that it

    also,

    is

    enough

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly