Friday, July 27, 2012

What makes a Vacation?

-->
Vacation means freedom from the boss. I am my own boss but a hard-driving one, and I’m looking forward to escaping from her for ten or twelve days. Let’s see if I can leave her sufficiently behind to discover another, more lenient soul within myself. 

I’m already “over the hill,” so the fact that she is still relentless in her demands is strange. If I had better sense, I probably would not confess my foibles to you, dear reader.

Can I blame parental introjections, messages delivered by influential people in my life that echo in the deep resources of the mind? “You must do more. You must be more, learn more. Make the world a ‘better’ place.”

I really can’t blame anyone or anything. At my age, in my state of self-awareness, I realize the “ball is in my court.” If not now, never; and I believe taking responsibility for one’s self is a major goal that I pride myself on achieving, relatively speaking.

Dear Reader, As you go on vacation, what aspects of yourself do you prefer to leave at home?
What would you like to discover or develop within yourself?
Conclusion: As the world opens up new aspects to us, we also have the opportunity to discover ourselves in a new light.

Please respond to jsimon145@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. So Jane, where are you going? Enjoy, enjoy.

    I go away early and often., around the city, around the country around the globe. I don't get jaded; Each trip is exciting . But when exploring my inner core, I know i go bec

    1.I live in a city, which has everything but fresh air, so I might go to mountains, lakes, countryside, to breathe fresh air.

    2.My apartment, though not large, is full of stuff, stuff and more stuff. Too many clothes, too many pots, pans, dishes, office supplies, stuff, stuff, stuff. On vacation, I only have what is needed, and I pack minimally and I like that. When I return home, I rosolve to get rid of stuff, to organize the stuff I have. and to only keep what is truly useful or beautiful. It works for a while, but on vacation, it feels clean and free to only have what is needed.

    3. Vacations are decison free. Perhaps, I have to decide whether to have a martini or red wine, to go to Monserrat for the day or the Dali museum, I like those decisons. At home, I have to make dreaded fiduciary decisions. decorating decisions and tough decisions re stuff I either dont really understand or hate to do. or both

    4.on vacation, I don't get stressed by actions of my daughters, their husbands or children. Im away; don't know what'w what and that's just dandy.

    Addendum: Folks often thing further is better; If I go to Japan, they say '.Wow' but if I go to Pittsburgh, they say 'why'. Further doesn't make a vacation better.

    Staycations are imperative for me. I'm on one now. Three days at home, with a massage therapist/ trainer coming for two of the three days. I read, perhaps take a long bubble bath, have a dreamy three days, may or may not answer the phone or read the mail ( Heck I'm on vacation!). No, dressing up, no makeup , but think about who i am and what I care about for me. It's brilliant for me; cheaper than going almost anywhere, but some friends who know think I'm nuts.

    Another nuts is a mini vacation in my own city, doing what I would do in another country. ii.e. I don't know much about Soho, Noho, and where are the Bowery, Little Italy , etc. . So I recently enjoyed a weekend in a luxe boutique hotel in SOHO, had the concierge map out walking tours. Fabulous. Ate in a couple of good restaurants, though I had room service one night when I was exhausted. I took the subway home on Monday, and I felt absolutely wonderfully refreshed

    I travel alone or with others; both work for me. I feel proud and empowered that I can travel independently and enjoy my own company.

    eEnough? No too much. But you asked for comments. and now you got mine. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I am retired,I am always on vacation..the choices I make are supposed to be my own....but as a woman, I seem to still dance around everyone else's needs
    So I often,take a stand and say,this is my time..do not reorganize or impinge on it...I'm learning to do it more and more...if not all my time would be given away
    So glad I had a moment to respond to your brilliant statements...I most not do more...I need to do what I choose....off to shower and read a book...what a luxury!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly