Friday, January 6, 2012

Recognizing Our Saboteurs


One of the  complexities of being Human is sorting out our constructive from our destructive behaviors. Which  actions manifest our Saboteur (to operate against our best interests) and which ones,  our Savior (to further our goals)?

This first day of the New Year, I’m delighted that my schedule is free and I can choose how to spend the time. I resolve to skip the gym in favor of reading and writing. But is my Saboteur or my Savior in charge of my decision?

We have only to count the numerous public figures who muck up their careers (although in diverse ways like infidelity, dishonesty, embezzlement)  to recognize the universality of  the difficulty.

Another more treacherous situation occurred in the case of one of my patients. She had befriended a homeless, substance-abusing man. In the name of Generosity, she took him into her home. Instead of the enjoyable holiday, and solitude she had anticipated, she shared her apartment and her anti-anxiety medication ‘to help him detoxify’.

Eventually she discovered that the man’s needs proved insatiable; sadly her solicitations  hadn’t helped him. He wasn’t motivated to get better. In the name of Generosity, she sacrificed her resources, including time, energy.

 In this instance Generosity proved to be a Saboteur.  Her Savior rallied and she realized she had to call 911 for assistance.

What can we do when faced with this conundrum?
We need to muster honesty and courage and ask:
 What am I doing? And why am I doing it?

Conclusion: Let’s remember and identify the myriad Saboteurs contained within the complexity of our minds.

Surveillance may be necessary to guard against and prevent self deception and self destruction.

Dear Reader: I welcome your comments. (jsimon145@gmail.com)

2 comments:

  1. Please note that there is a typo in the first paragraph: SAVOIR is the French verb 'to know' and confused me. I'd like to see more information about saboteur vs savior in order to understand how they operate. Your patient's issue may be something other than Generosity (Guilt, for one) and perhaps you could indicate or touch upon this? Glad you had a pleasant New Year's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks So much for your perspicacity in catching the typo. Yes, quite possibly the dynamics underlying self sabotage are complex in this case as in many others. Most important is recognizing the potential many of us have to get in our own way.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly