Monday, November 3, 2014

The Power of Perversity


When a bicyclist disobeys a red light and almost strikes me, or a driver fails to yield the right of way to me, a pedestrian crossing with a green light  and within the boundaries of the crosswalk, I call out, “Thank you.” For some perverse reason, my sarcasm--the opposite of what I really feel or want to say--offers relief. What I really want to say is  “You’re a jerk for nearly hitting me and adding to the chaos of our city.”

The sarcasm is a mechanism for covering up--hiding my own aggressive feelings. If I react with anger, that meets the wrongdoer’s expectations. He’d dismiss me, feel validated, and think,  
 “Look at all the power I have to frighten her and make her angry.”

On the other hand, a sarcastically delivered “thank you” may baffle and confuse him.
“What? She’s thanking me for disobeying the rules and almost striking her? That is strange.”

This unexpected response could add chaos in his mind and even cause him to examine his actions.

Wishful thinking on my part? No doubt. Nevertheless, it helps me cope with the aggravations of urban life.


Dear Reader, I welcome your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly