Sunday, June 3, 2012

Treasures and Tribulations of Travel


Travel broadens us by expanding our knowledge of the world and ourselves. In my experience, travel has shown me that people of the world are in many ways  more alike than different; it has altered my self perception too. (I’m not as easily gregarious as I might like to think.) 
An individual may experience travel from a matter of endurance to the thrill of the open road. For people who love it, travel may be the high point of their lives.  Others dread the inconveniences, yearning for their own bed and pillows.
When planning a trip, I become bogged down with details of the arrangements I need to make before the departure.
What to wear? Which suitcase and credit card to take? What to do about phone service? Remembering to change my answering machine. Stock up on food for pets and write orders about their care. Once aloft in the plane, I relax and focus on the destination, read the travel guide and study the language.
Today we can navigate the world in a day or so; Jules Verne’s classic story Around the World in Eighty Days, first published in 1873, made into a great film by the same name, seems long past, like the era of the dinosaurs.
Letting go of our routine can teach us on many levels: We may find ourselves asking what really matters. What’s important in the larger scheme of our lives? What loose ends do we need to tie up? Write a will? Sell a stock? Change the parameters of a friendship?
Travel can transform us if we’re open to it. Mr. M. went through a phase of his life when he traveled broadly. He made many ‘friends’ for the first time in his life; but when they contacted him with the intention of continuing the relationship, his fears surfaced; he couldn’t imagine setting limits, saying “No” to them. He assumed he’d be overtaken by their needs as he was in his family. However, he learned to define his comfort zone, maintaining an email correspondence.
When we travel, we break out of the ‘home’ routine. ‘Routine on the road’ is very different and for me, seems to stretch time. Five days can seem like ten. I’m jolted by the fact that time is a relative perception as well as an objective reality. I appreciate that for me travel expands and stretches time.
With new adventures under my belt, I’m relieved to return home to my comfort zone. Sometimes I see my city as I imagine a tourist would. How would a Parisian view New York? I know that happy memories, beautiful impressions of the places I’ve been, will surface at various times over the years.
Dear Readers, Summertime is almost upon us and you’re probably planning a trip. Please share your treasures and tribulations. (jsimon145@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly