Friday, March 30, 2012

From Negative to Positive


Dear Readers, I was planning to discuss the difficulties of maintaining a positive outlook. But many volumes have been written on the subject, from the Bible to Martin Seligman and beyond, which show that a positive attitude is far more beneficial to the thinker than a negative one.
   Instead of summarizing the literature, I decided to present a brief poem (from this week’s journal) to describe thoughts which lifted my mood. (Thanks to Marianne for editing).

Please share your experiences about transitioning
to positive thinking.

TRANSITION

I awaken, and am uneasy
In my dream, the green lamp
(from Housing Works*) clicks off.
The dark side of my ego speaks.

The bright side recognizes infinity…
the  beauty of  the starlit sky,
bound and boundless human energy.
For each empty cup, one will overflow.

Answer all knocks on the door
Each embodies a form of God.

QUESTIONS:
Is our Dark Energy,
the devil?
also a form of God?

Or is the black night
             of ignorance
 God’s absence?

But is God ever
truly absent?


*Housing Works is a shop (in New York City) where a vast array of second hand objects are sold.

Dear Reader: I welcome your comments. (jsimon145@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly