Friday, December 23, 2011

Energy: We Are What We Think



The genius Albert Einstein not only discovered the relationship of energy and matter in the physical realm, he also raised questions about the mind’s ventures into realms beyond the visible. I like to think he intuited the connection between mind and body. He certainly did not become derailed by negative thoughts and focused his abundant brain energy on problem solving.

 We know energy comes from calories in food and that calories from fruits, vegetables, lean protein, are better than those from fatty meats and rich pastries. But what about the energy from our thoughts?  I propose that Positive Thoughts are like good nutrition while negative thinking can harm us like junk food.

Paying attention to the quality of our thoughts is as vital as providing a well-balanced diet for our bodies.

Negative thinking discourages, leads to feelings of hopelessness, saps energy.  Negative thoughts clog our brain circuits similar to fatty foods blocking our coronary arteries.

Watching the news late at night, which abounds in negative happenings around the world, won’t lead to the highway of sweet dreams and can have a detrimental impact on the next day too.  Many of my patients don’t immediately recognize the connection between watching the 11 o’clock news, a poor night of sleep,  and their pessimistic mood the next morning.

If negative thinking is capable of pulling us down, positive thinking can lift our spirits and, quite often, enable us to successfully change our situation.

Many years ago, I suffered from depression and couldn’t budge my mind out of the doldrums to move forward in my life.  I discovered  the role of exercise:  putting my body in motion transferred  to my mind and I  let go of negative thoughts.

For me, exercise is as vital to my mind as to my body. When I don’t exercise, my thoughts dive into negative territory.

Studies show that daily exercise can be as effective as antidepressant medication!  (Medication may be necessary when a person is too depressed to motivate himself to go to the gym.)

I’ve noticed that dwelling on past failures saps my energy. When I forgive myself for mistakes, view them as learning experiences, part of the process of living, my energy  increases.


Negative and ambivalent feelings are part of the process of problem solving, but we need to be aware of them. The state of limbo (Should I? Shouldn’t I?) can lead to disequilibrium.  

A few years ago when I slipped on a patch of ice in the street, I realized I had been thinking negatively about my future just before I fell.  My mind was not focused on navigating the slippery surface.

Now I purposefully whistle a happy tune (the melody from the King and I) when I climb a ladder to change a light bulb. Positive thinking, like a protein drink, injects energy and the ballast of balance.

 Conclusion: We take good care of ourselves when we use energy to expand  awareness of how negative and positive thinking and feeling affects our bodies and minds.

Dear Reader: I welcome your comments. (jsimon145@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly